Innovative pipe producing equipment
Modern Rollepaal pipe machinery allows our customers to both minimize overweight and to have control over wall thickness, thus reducing the cost of their products. Simultaneously, these developments also help the environment by reducing energy consumption and the use of raw materials. One way to improve the carbon footprint is the use of scrap material in a foam core pipe. Our multilayer technology is the ultimate way to do this, without making concessions in terms of quality. The latest development is oriented pvc (PVC-O). By stretching a pvc pipe in two directions, the material actually becomes stronger and more capable to resist impacts. Lighter and better, it has been proven numerous times.
- Rollepaal has design and production of the complete line from A-Z under one roof.
- Rollepaal is 100% dedicated to pipe extrusion only.
- Rollepaal was born out of Europe’s biggest pipe production company (Wavin), and therefore grown up with the pipe production process.
- World wide experience with processing assistance
- All equipment design based on the pipe production process, instead of machine production process.
- Experience since 1962 in machines for pipe extrusion
Rollepaal specialises in the design, manufacture and service of top performance machines for plastic pipe processing. Value for money and a full service package all along the line are hereby the most important key words that we use to evaluate our contribution. Therefore with Rollepaal you not only find standard equipment that serves your line perfectly we also have a range of special products and special trained people that help you to solve upstream and downstream bottlenecks to your profitability.
Solid Wall Die Heads
The long-term extrusion history of Rollepaal has resulted in products based on a sound theoretical approach and a wide
practical experience. The RSD Solid Wall Die head is the tried and tested heart of a solid wall pvc pipe line.
RSD pipe heads have been designed, using a computer calculation program based on a 3-D visco-elastic model for
plastics. The program calculates the optimum flow lines for compression cones that otherwise would not be feasible for
reliable use in production.
Rollepaal spider dies reach the highest efficiency possible in terms of raw material usage. The RSD heads have also been
designed to be robust, easy to assemble and dismantle, and maintenance friendly.
The flow lines have been optimized for reliable and reproducible production, and allow high outputs and easy to run formulations.
As the compression is high, the pipes are smooth without weak spider lines.
Solid Wall Die Heads – BENEFITS of Rollepaal RSD:
• Quick Tool Change – reduction in time to change of wall thickness and diameter, available for RSD 2, 4, 6 & 8.
• Thermal Centering – Temperature control zones at the die head for rapid wall thickness adjustments.
• Modular design – less tooling required for an increased range of pipe diameters
• A smooth pipe and low overweight at high outputs
• Designed for runners and variety products
• Minimum tooling for maximum pipe range
• Perfect spider line welding because of double compression
• Low inventory allows for lower dryblend stabilization
• Smart centering – reduce centering time after diameter change
(RSD12 and larger)
Wall thickness – 3-6 minutes*
Diameter change – 6-12 minutes*
Range change – 12-20 minutes*
ML Die Heads
Rollepaal Multilayer Die Heads
A revolutionary idea started the development of the Rollepaal Multilayer Die heads. The technology is based on the principle of symmetrical branching of the melt to feed the layers. Symmetry in melt feed guarantees the best layer distribution, because all flow lines have equal length. The layer distribution is independent of melt viscosity, as there is no need for a restrictor gap with
different length in circumferential direction for correction. The design features a symmetrical split of short round channels per disc, which prevents the melt from clogging the die head.
Depending on the application and formulation, the RMD die head is provided with either single or double compression tooling. The die head, with modular design, also has Quick Tool Change and Smart Centering. Cleaning, if required, is easy as the distribution channels have a round shape and short length, and are perfectly accessible.
Features of our RMD series:
• The die support with hydraulic leveling system and the special designed cleaning tools facilitate a quick cleaning of the die. Down time can be limited
• Excellent skin distribution to maximize material savings
• Skin – Core ratio: best performance in the market
• Outer and inner skin ratio adjustable even with 2 extruder set up
• Suitable for foam core and solid wall
• Foaming K57 + K67 pipe grade virgin and 100% recycled material
• Foaming at minimal processing aid
• 2 & 3 layer version
• Thin coating application PVC and PO
• Round branched holes, easy to take apart, for quick cleaning
• Because of shorter land length the die head creates more die swell which increases the foaming quality
Rollepaal offers a wide range of high capacity PVC extruders with screw from 22L/D up to 36L/D, depending on application and output. The extruders have a wide processing window for reliable pipe production at low reject rates.
The robust design and controls with proprietary software give operators the opportunity to reach for higher productivity at each stage of the pipe extrusion
The screw geometry has been developed for a large processing
window and in combination with the direct drive concept it
provides a higher quality homogeneous melt. The innovative and
technological features of the T-Rex extruders result in increased
Benefits of our extruders:
• Output capabilities of up to 1.800 kg/hr / 4.000 lbs/hr
• Improved screw design for a longer effective screw length
• Direct torque control for a more constant screw rpm
• Lower specific energy consumption
• Internal screw cooling
• Air-cooled barrel for a more gradual cooling
• Highly efficient direct AC drive
• Windows based controls reducing training requirements
• Recipe storage for enhanced user reproducibility
Rollepaal has a complete range of vacuum and spray cooling equipment for pipe diameters from 6 to 1600 mm (¼”to 64”). The controlled environment of the cooling units increases the process accuracy production capabilities.
Rollepaal Vacuum Cooling Level control systems on cooling equipment existed from the very start. Various solutions can be used, such as floating systems and electric sensors. Keeping the vacuum level within narrow boundaries despite fluctuations of the water pressure and temperature is not an easy task.
In the past, the operator had to adjust the valve positions and check the operation of the equipment regularly to deal with various circumstances.
Today, level control has matured using a very reliable sensing element and a smart electronic controller. It is maintenance free, insensible to contamination and it has wide bore flanges to avoid seal-damage during startup.
Rollepaal Spray Cooling
Positioned after the vacuum cooling section, the spraying bath cools the pipe down further by spraying water on the pipe under atmospheric conditions. Fresh water is supplied to maintain the set temperature level. The water level is kept constant with an overflow outlet.
The spray cooling is intended for use in the daily production environment. The spray cooling chamber is a welded shell, made of V2A stainless steel. There are multiple aluminum covers with a sealing rubber insert on the top.
The spray nozzles are fixed alongside the tank. The inlet and outlet seals will be adapted to the pipe diameter. Pipe support is done with rollers or disks (depending on the application). The machine chassis is a welded construction.
The height can be adjusted by turning two screws on each console.
Advantages of Cooling Rollepaal
• Standard long lasting air controlled valves, suitable for contaminated water
• New water level control, not sensitive for contaminated water
• Rigid and sturdy stainless steel construction
• Cost reduction because of quick tool change
• Stable vacuum and efficient cooling
• Highly efficient electronic motors
• Stable cool water temperature control
• Quick start up as seals maintain vacuum at out-of-shape pipe
Rollepaal offers an excellent program of state of the art haul offs from 6 – 800 mm (1/4”- 32”). The program has been designed for accuracy, socketing and ease of use during production and during start-up situations. The wide range of Rollepaal haul offs offers maximum flexibility. The RHO is available with 2, 3, 4, 6 or 8 tracks. The tracks are dependent on the pipe dimension and wall thickness.
A RHO haul off continuously pulls thermoplastic pipe, coming out of an extruder, through the cooling line. The tracks of the haul-off are being controlled by separate servo motors.
A very a ccurate a nd constant hauling s peed is obtained via the servo controller thus maintaining a uniform speed for each track, important to prevent pipe deformation.
The steel frame has a robust rectangular shape for high rigidity and is completely closed-in for maximum safety. All electrical equipment including the control panel is located on the side panel of the frame. On the incoming side of the haul off a pipe guide roller is placed. On the four lower corners of the frame a height adjustment device is mounted.
The track is an endless roller of chain covered with profiled, wear resistant, rubber blocks, giving maximum grip without damaging the pipe. The lower tracks can be adjusted to the pipe diameter by an electrically driven height adjustment device. The upper tracks are being pressed onto the pipe by pneumatic cylinders.
A pressure regulator on the side of the pipe inlet and outlet can be set separately.
BENEFITS of Rollepaal HAUL OFFS:
• Low maintenance
• Very low chain wear
• Quick diameter change
• Independent in and outlet pressure control
• Extra wide pads
• Long contact length
• Integrated accurate line synchronization
• Slip control
Rollepaal offers a wide range of cutters (RCM) and chamfering machines (CCM). The Rollepaal cutters run in a range of diameters from 16 to 520 mm (3/4”- 20”). The unique design of the Rollepaal cutters incorporates chisels which rotate around the pipe. Because of this no dust will be produced.
Cutting & Chamfering Machine – CCM
The CCM is a modular automatic cutting and chamfering machine for plastic pipes in a range of diameters from 32 to 500 mm (1 ¼”-20”).
Immediately before the cutting action, two pneumatically actuated clamp assemblies with four arms each, secure the carriage to the moving plastic pipe causing the carriage to move along at the same speed as the pipe. The pipe can therefore be cut and chamfered without interrupting the production process.
In order to change over from one pipe to another, it is not necessary to change any of the components. Tool movement and carriage are controlled by a camdisk.
Rollepaal Cutting Machine – RCM
The RCM is an automatic cutting and chamfering machine for plastic pipes in a range of diameters from 16 to 520 mm (3/4”- 20”). The RCM range was designed especially to realize a significant reduction in the conversion times, cycle time and a smooth ejection of cutting swarf. The advanced technology used, ensures uniform cutting and chamfering and makes the RCM relatively insensitive to irregularities in the shape of the pipe. Tool movement and carriage are controlled by a servodrive.
Features of the Rollepaal RCM
• Multiple cutting lengths in one line
• Improved lifetime of cutting tools because of optimal cutting speed
• Faster movement towards the pipe which results in faster cutting
• Most parameter settings on touchscreen
A dust free production of any application and an excellent cut for any socketing device are guaranteed with Rollepaal cutters, as well as ease of use, a robust design and solutions for high speed lines, PP lines and lines for special PVC products and high filled materials.
Benefits of Rollepaal cutters
• Swarfless and non swarfless cutting machines
• All movements are electro mechanically driven (no hydraulics)
• Cutting parameters can be set during production
• Tool change during production
• Use of standard cutting tools
• Low noise level
• Clean and dust free cut
• Easy operator interface
• Unmatched quality of cutters
The material is the largest cost component in the manufacturing of plastic pipe, around 80 %. This fact makes it worthwile to reduce overweight and/or increase CaCo3 content, while keeping the pipe in the required specifications. Rollepaal offers several types of cost saving solutions to control the quality of the pipe during production. These solutions are compatible with all existing brands of equipment.
Rollepaal Cost Saving Solutions:
1. Rollepaal Direct Addition – CaCO3
2. Wall control units (scanners)
3. Automatic Thermal Centering (ATC)
4. Gravimetric systems (RGS)
Rollepaal Direct Addition – RDA
The RDA makes sure that the addition of material to the pvc powder will be done in an exact and consistent way. The RDA unit is mounted on the extruder for constant dosing of hard to handle materials in an industrial environment. High amounts of CaCO3 can be added without the problem of segregation. This saves energy at the same time, as it does not pass the hot mixer.
Multiple dosing units for additives can be mounted providing optimal flexibility for production.
Advantages of Rollepaal RDA systems:
• No segregation of CaCO3 and PVC during transport
• Smoother pipe
• Blending energy savings
• Increased flexibility of extrusion line (basis formulation)
• Gravimetric addition of additives
• High outputs at low reject rates
Wall Control Units – Scanners
Controlling the dimensions of the pipe during production is an important factor to keep the pipe in the preferred specifications.
Rollepaal scanners are able to measure the pipe wall thickness and diameter*. A range of scanners with various features is available, covering pipe sizes from 10-1600 mm (1/2” – 60”) diameter.
Advantages of our Scanners:
• Continuous inline wall thickness and diameter* measurement
• Minimum wall thickness control (overweight reduction)
* static scanners only.
Rollepaal offers a full program of solutions to establish and control the quality of pipe during production. Scanners are instruments used to capture the pipe dimensions. Rollepaal scanners provide a short loop feedback system which helps to bring the production lines into specification and keep them there.
The scanners measure the pipe wall thickness by means of ultrasonic waves. A transducer generates a high frequency wave that propagates into the pipe wall. This wave passes through the pipe to the inner side which then reflects the signal back to the sensor. The actual wave travel time is the measurement for the pipe wall thickness. The signal is visible on the touch-screen display, allowing operators to optimize settings themselves with a user friendly operator interface. Scanners are available as standalone units or can be integrated into an existing system.
Rollepaal offers three types of scanners to measure wall thickness: rotating scanners, static scanners and compact scanners.
Rollepaal Rotating Scanners – RRS
The RRS scanner is a rotating scanner which registers 360 points in the pipe circumference. The scanner alternately rotates clockwise and counter clockwise. The sensor is touching the pipe, making the system insensitive to pipe surface conditions.
The sensor is self wiping. It requires a film of water between the sensor and pipe. The scanner is equipped with a touch-screen display which shows the shape of the actual ultrasound echo signal making the system simple to use.
Benefits of Rollepaal Rotating Scanners:
- Continuous inline wall thickness measurement
- Self adapting to the pipe diameter, no diameter related parts
- Manual and Automatic calibration capabilities
Rollepaal Static Scanners – RSS
The RSS measures the pipe wall thickness and the pipe diameter.
The static scanner has transducers positioned in such a way that 100% of the pipe surface over the full diameter will be covered.
- Continuous inline wall thickness and outside diameter measurement
- Easy to integrate in new and existing cooling baths